I am a PhD student of mathematics at the Weizmann Institute of Science, studying under the supervision of Ronen Eldan.
Before that I completed my masters in mathematics at the Weizmann Institute of Science (2017).
Before that I completed my undergraduate degree in mathematics and physics at the Technion (2015).
Before that I studied in the Israel Arts and Science Academy high school (2008).
I am interested in graph theory, probability, combinatorics, their union and their intersection.
Here is my blog. It contains expositions, technical explorations, random musings, and sometimes, plain nonsense.
|Ronen Eldan and R. Gross: Decomposition of mean-field Gibbs distributions into product measures. Submitted 2017.|
|Ronen Eldan and R. Gross: Exponential random graphs behave like mixtures of stochastic block models. Submitted 2017.|
|R. Gross and Uri Grupel: Indistinguishable sceneries on the Boolean hypercube. Submitted 2017.|
|R. Gross, Itzhak Fouxon, Doron Lancet and Omer Markovitch: Quasispecies in population of compositional assemblies. BMC Evolutionary Biology 2014 14:265.|
R. Gross and Scott Aaronson: Bounding the seed length of Miller and Shi's unbounded randomness expansion protocol.
R. Gross: Bridges, string art and Bèzier curves.
+plus magazine, 2012.
Summer School of Science
The Summer School of Science is an international summer science camp for high school students in Croatia. I have had the pleasure of leading a weeklong project there three times (1) (2) (3). This camp is a great opportunity for high-schoolers to do science and meet friends abroad, and I whole-heartidly recommend it.
A note on the images:
- The upper left image shows a self-avoiding walk.. The image is taken from the wikimedia commons and was made by the user Rocchini.
- The upper right image shows the output of a bacteria-tracking program I wrote in collaboration with Avraham Be'er. He studies the collective motion of bacteria, and you can read more about his work on his site.
- The lower left image shows a tiger deformed by a (mostly) analytic complex function. You can read more about this here.
- The lower right image shows the Whitney twist. This is an operation on graphs that preserves their spanning tree structure.
Background image from wikimedia commons by Erzbischof.
A very short biography
- 13.8 · 10-9 BC: Universe created
- 2005 - 2008: Israel Arts and Science Academy
- 2008 - 2012: IDF
- 2012 - 2015: The Technion
- 2015 - 2017: The Weizmann Institute of Science
This section is under construction.
- My blog.
I occasionally write and perform spoken word poetry. Here is my most popular piece amongst mathematicians:
A complete playlist can be found here.
- I've played the piano since I was 11. Here is a video of the "Phrase Inversal" quartet in the Technion, of which I was a part, playing the first movement of Mozart's g minor quartet:
- Email: It is an ancient and respected tradition, for academics to "obfuscate" their email address. I am happy to follow that tradition:
renan.gross $at$ weizmann.ac.il
- My Weizmann info card