I am a PhD student of mathematics at the Weizmann Institute of Science, studying under the supervision of Ronen Eldan.
Before that I completed my masters in mathematics at the Weizmann Institute of Science (2017).
Before that I completed my undergraduate degree in mathematics and physics at the Technion (2015).
Before that I studied in the Israel Arts and Science Academy high school (2008).
I am interested in graph theory, probability, combinatorics, their union and their intersection.
Here is my blog. It contains expositions, technical explorations, random musings, and sometimes, plain nonsense.
- Ronen Eldan and R. Gross: Decomposition of mean-field Gibbs distributions into product measures. Submitted
- Ronen Eldan and R. Gross: Exponential random graphs behave like mixtures of stochastic block models. Submitted
- R. Gross and Uri Grupel: Indistinguishable sceneries on the Boolean hypercube. Submitted.
- R. Gross, Itzhak Fouxon, Doron Lancet and Omer Markovitch: Quasispecies in population of compositional assemblies, BMC Evolutionary Biology 2014 14:265.
R. Gross: Bridges, string art and Bèzier curves, +plus magazine, 2012.
- Also appears in The Best Writing on Mathematics 2013, Princeton University Press.
Summer School of Science
The Summer School of Science is an international summer science camp for high school students in Croatia. I have had the pleasure of leading a weeklong project there three times (1) (2) (3). This camp is a great opportunity for high-schoolers to do science and meet friends abroad, and I whole-heartidly recommend it.
A note on the images:
- The upper left image shows a self-avoiding walk.. The image is taken from the wikimedia commons and was made by the user Rocchini.
- The upper right image shows the output of a bacteria-tracking program I wrote in collaboration with Avraham Be'er. He studies the collective motion of bacteria, and you can read more about his work on his site.
- The lower left image shows a tiger deformed by a (mostly) analytic complex function. You can read more about this here.
- The lower right image shows the Whitney twist. This is an operation on graphs that preserves their spanning tree structure.
Background image from wikimedia commons by Erzbischof.
A very short biography
- 13.8 · 10-9 BC: Universe created
- 2005 - 2008: Israel Arts and Science Academy
- 2008 - 2012: IDF
- 2012 - 2015: The Technion
- 2015 - 2017: The Weizmann Institute of Science
This section is under construction.
- My blog.
I occasionally write and perform spoken word poetry. Here is my most popular piece amongst mathematicians:
A complete playlist can be found here.
- I've played the piano since I was 11. Here is a video of the "Phrase Inversal" quartet in the Technion, of which I was a part, playing the first movement of Mozart's g minor quartet:
- Email: It is an ancient and respected tradition, for academics to "obfuscate" their email address. I am happy to follow that tradition:
renan.gross $at$ weizmann.ac.il
- My Weizmann info card